For the Solar Eclipse of August 21st 2017 the world’s focus will be on USA as the path of totality sweeps across the entire continent of N. America. Even though it is a relatively short eclipse (2 min 40 secs) it’s estimated that perhaps 100 million people will be viewing it, which could make this one of the most observed eclipses of all time. The US is the only country that receives the umbra’s path- for eclipse member 22 of Saros series 145. All of these factors is what makes this solar eclipse so remarkable.
As the “Great American Eclipse” tracks across the country it will cast at least a partial shadow over almost the entire country- 95% of USA. Astrologically and energetically this holds great potential for transformation, for the land, the people, and its leadership. It literally divides the nation in half and this is of great interest and concern considering the current socio- political climate.
The last total solar eclipse that touched the United States was 37 years ago on February 26, 1979. Its path went across only a few states in the northwest, while the last total solar eclipse to sweep across the entire mainland of the United States was on June 8, 1918. It’s path tracked from Washington to Florida. For tracking and forecasting purposes the April 8th, 2024 total solar eclipse must also be taken into account, as the intersection point of both paths of totality takes place in the heartland of America where August 21st peaks.
Here at the Intuitive Matrix we track and record events on the ground as astronomical events and astrological energies culminate in the sky in order to observe and discern any correlations. In the 2 + years we have documented the lunar cycles, the eclipses and other planetary or star activity much has unfolded here on the ground, showing a great amount of fluidity and synchronicity with the synergy of heavenly bodies to this Earth along with the effects felt in the complex human psyche, the collective conscious and within the communities and authorities of our social structures.
“Both modern and ancient mundane astrologers believe the area of the Earth’s surface that lies in the path of the Moon’s umbra is where the eclipse will be most strongly felt. Ancient history is filled with stories of how eclipses ended battles and wars and how they were supposed to signify the birth of a King or other person of great importance.”
Robert Carl Jansky
For this article I’ve chosen to highlight places in the path that have historically made a great impact on the nation of America, monuments, as well as geological features such as waterways and tectonic plates which are all susceptible to movement- expansion and contraction- and have the power to greatly alter our human activity as well as our livelihoods. All the locales listed below will be of great interest during August/September eclipse season and for the next 2 and 3/4 years; then America’s heartland once again in 2024.
So for the August 21st 2017 solar eclipse let’s start the tracking at the Pacific coast line just before the umbra touches western USA…
Juan de Fuca Plate, Pacific Ocean – located off the coast of Northern California, Oregon, Washington State, and Vancouver Island in Canada; the Juan de Fuca has the potential to generate earthquakes of magnitude 9.0 or larger, which are capable of producing a massive tsunami. The last mega thrust earthquake at the Cascadia subduction zone occurred around 1700 with a magnitude of 8.7 – 9.2. Japanese records indicate that a tsunami occurred in Japan on 26 January 1700, which was likely caused by this earthquake. There was a partial solar eclipse on Feb. 18th passing over the N. Pacific and the northern section of The Ring Fire, and so if this information is correct both the tsunami and earthquake occurred under a week prior to that eclipse season.
- Oregon State is the first of America’s land and people to experience the umbras passage with the center line of totality passing directly between the towns of Salem and Corvallis/Albany. As fire season peaks in August this State is expecting and preparing for 1 million visitors for the solar eclipse, many to rural, wooded areas. Most wildfires are started from lightning strikes, campfires and cigarettes. I bring this up because for this solar eclipse elemental fire is predominant astrologically. Both luminaries, Mars and the North Node are in fixed fire sign Leo; Saturn in mutable Sagittarius, and Uranus in Cardinal Aries. This is a lot of heat up above, plus Mars is sextile Jupiter in Libra which gives the ignition of the warrior a huge amount of elemental air needed for physical combustion, while Uranus trine the luminaries is known for his sudden unexpected lightning bolt strikes of inspiration or explosive events leading to complete reformation.
- Casper Wyoming positioned on the center line of totality is nicknamed “The Oil City” and has a long history of oil boomtown and cowboy culture, dating back to the development of the nearby Salt Creek Oil Field. Casper is located in east-central Wyoming at the foot of Casper Mountain, along the North Platte River. The city was established east of the former site of Fort Caspar, which was built during the mid-19th century mass migration of land seekers along the Oregon, California and Mormon trails. Since the discovery of crude oil in the region during the 1890s, Casper became the regional petroleum industry center. Development of Wyoming coal and uranium fields in recent decades has helped Casper continue its role as a center in the energy industry.
- Teton National Park, Wyoming & The Teton fault has a length of 44 miles (70 km) and runs along the eastern base of the Teton Range. Vertical movement on the fault has caused the dramatic topography of the Teton Range. The fault is on the boundary of four major geologic provinces: the Basin and Range, Idaho-Wyoming Thrust belt, Rocky Mountain Foreland, and the Yellowstone volcanic plateau. The earthquake hazard in the Teton-Yellowstone region is the highest in the inter-mountain west. Large earthquakes of magnitude 6.5 to 7.0 are estimated to occur in this region roughly every 200 years. Despite its lack of recent seismic activity, it is believed that the Teton fault could produce a 7.5 magnitude earthquake. Geoscientists have dated the two most recent earthquakes at 4,800 and less than 8,000 years ago. The park itself too receives the spotlight regarding its natural resources that have up until now been protected by government legislation. But on March 28, 2017, President Trump issued an executive order requiring federal agencies to review or rescind a number of critical policies that protect national parks from the adverse impacts of oil and gas development, including the National Park Service 9B rules. These commonsense policies set safety and enforcement standards for oil and gas drilling within the boundaries of more than 40 national parks, including Grand Teton. Perhaps this will be an area to watch as an example of what could happen all over the country, as reversing these 9B rules poses a serious and direct threat to the ability of the National Park Service to protect national parks for future generations.
- The Missouri River- is the longest river in North America. Rising in the Rocky Mountains of western Montana, the Missouri flows east and south for 2,341 miles before entering the Mississippi River. The river takes drainage from a sparsely populated, semi-arid watershed of more than half a million square miles, which includes parts of ten U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. When combined with the lower Mississippi River, it forms the world’s fourth longest river system. Their confluence is just North of St. Louis.
- Kansas City, Missouri is positioned at the very edge of the path of totality. During the Civil War, the city and its immediate surroundings were the focus of intense military activity. Kansas successfully petitioned the U.S. to enter the Union as a free state that did not allow slavery under the new doctrine of popular sovereignty. Two battles of Independence ensued first in August 1862 the second which occurred on October 21–22, 1864. The Confederate victory proved hollow, as they were defeated in the pivotal Battle of Westport the next day, effectively ending Confederate efforts to regain Missouri.
- Independence is a satellite city and part of the Kansas city metropolitan area. Independence is known as the “Queen City of the Trails” because it was a point of departure for the California, Oregon, and Santa Fe Trails. This locale too was the site of a skirmish during the American Civil War on August 4, 1862, when Union troops attempted to stop Confederate reinforcements in the First Battle of Independence. It is the hometown of U.S. President Harry S. Truman and also became sacred to many Latter Day Saints, with Joseph Smith’s 1831 Temple Lot being located here, as well as the headquarters of several Latter Day Saint factions.
- Adam-ondi-Ahman, Misouri located right at the edge of the path of totality, is a historic site about five miles south of Jameson. According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), it is the site where Adam and Eve lived after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. It teaches that the place will be a gathering spot for a meeting of the priesthood leadership, including prophets of all ages and other righteous people, prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The Latter Day Saints once proposed building a temple on the site. Such efforts were halted in the 19th century as a result of the 1838 Mormon War to evict the Latter Day Saints from Missouri. After the Latter Day Saints were evicted, residents renamed the site Cravensville. I have mentioned the two LDS sites in this article because of prophecies regarding “the second coming” which are generally astronomically and astrologically based predictive events- concerning eclipses and patterns such as lunar tetrads as well as special planetary/ constellation alignments and ingresses. For this eclipse it is noteworthy that the New Moon is conjunct the Royal star Regulus – the heart of the lion- and that this is the first solar eclipse that conjoins Regulus as he makes his ingress into the constellation of Virgo. For some this is a signifier for the Age of Aquarius although others believe the era began in the 1980’s, or later between 2002- 2010. For this current period then, the latest prophesy is coming up on September 23, 2017 as the date of the rapture. Soothsayer Scottie Clark sees the “great sign” of Revelation 12 as the constellation Virgo that is said to converge with Leo the lion on that date.
- St. Louis, Missouri- only the southern side of the city lies in the path of totality, but I still think it noteworthy to mention The Gateway Arch which is a 630-foot (192 m) monument. It is the world’s tallest arch, and the tallest man-made monument in the Western Hemisphere, as well as Missouri’s tallest accessible building. Built as a monument to the westward expansion of the United States, and officially dedicated to “the American people”, the Arch was completed on October 28, 1965. The monument opened to the public on June 10, 1967. It is located at the site of St. Louis’ founding on the west bank of the Mississippi River. It is positioned just 2 miles north of the path of totality.
- The Mississipi River has the world’s fourth-largest drainage basin –watershed or catchment. The basin covers more than 1,245,000 square miles, including all or parts of 31 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. The drainage basin empties into the Gulf of Mexico, part of the Atlantic Ocean. The total catchment of the Mississippi River covers nearly 40% of the landmass of the continental United States. I have mentioned the 2 mighty US rivers in this article because of both being connected to the Standing Rock organized protest that sought to protect the waterways and sacred sites from the DAPL – the construction of an oil pipeline that crosses countless waterways and wetlands including 8 major tributaries as well as the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Also as discussed in my previous article, lunar eclipses can especially produce flooding inland and at sea. The partial lunar eclipse on the Full Moon on August 8th that precedes this total solar eclipse is in the sign of Aquarius- the water bearer, and the viewing of which will be predominantly in the eastern hemisphere.
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, Illinois is the site of a pre-Columbian Native American city (c. 600–1400 CE) located directly across the Mississippi River from East St. Louis and nearby Collinsville. The park covers 2,200 acres, or about 3.5 square miles, and contains about 80 mounds, but the ancient city was much larger. In its heyday, Cahokia covered about 6 square miles and included about 120 human-made earthen mounds in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and functions. Cahokia was the largest and most influential urban settlement of the Mississippian culture that developed advanced societies across much of what is now the central and southeastern United States, beginning more than 1000 years before European contact. Today, Cahokia Mounds is considered the largest and most complex archaeological site north of the great pre-Columbian cities in Mexico.
- Carbondale, Illinois is positioned at the epicenter of this eclipse receiving the maximum eclipse time of 2min 40 secs. By the time of the American Civil War, Carbondale had developed as a regional center for transportation and business, surrounded by agricultural development. This part of Illinois was known as “Little Egypt” because of the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, where the town of Cairo is located. On April 29, 1866, one of the first formal Memorial Day observations following the Civil War was held at the city’s Woodlawn Cemetery. By the early 20th century, Carbondale was known as the “Athens of Egypt,” due to the expansion of the college and university, and the region’s moniker of “Little Egypt.
- Shawnee National Forest – the path of totality passes directly over about half of the northern land route of the “Trail of Tears”, which is a path the Cherokee Nation took when they were forced out of their tribal lands. Thousands of Cherokee perished. This trail happens to go directly through the Shawnee National Forest, only 10-20 miles south of where the two eclipses cross paths.
- The New Madrid fault is known to produce extremely large and damaging earthquakes – the biggest quakes in American history. But earthquakes along the New Madrid that are similar in magnitude to those produced by the well-known faults of California can be more damaging than those in California, because the earth in the heartland amplifies the waves due to its unique make up. It just so happens that both aforementioned total eclipses passage straight through this fault zone. The town of Makanda sits atop the major center of the fault zone.
From December 16th, 1811 through March of 1812 there were over 2,000 quakes in the central Midwest, and between 6,000- 10,000 where the New Madrid is located near the confluence of Mississippi and Ohio rivers. In the known history of the world no other quakes have lasted so long or produced so much evidence of damage as the New Madrid earthquakes. December 16th, 1811 at magnitude 8.1, January 23rd, 1812 at 7.8 and February 7th, 1812 at 8.8 magnitude; all three made America’s top earthquake list. There were reports of the Mississippi River running backwards, 5 mile fissures, sand boils, seismic tar boils, earthquake lights caused by quartz crystals being squeezed, warm water, smog, loud thunder and animal warnings.
The annular solar eclipse of September 17th, 1811 tracked through Canada and through N. America culminating over Lake Michigan in the Midwest. The eclipse duration was long -6 mins and 51 seconds which can be calculated as being energetically effective for almost 7 years. The New Madrid fault line is just south of Illinois and the quakes began just under 3 months after this eclipse affected the Northern part of U.S. Interesting too that these quakes were also preceded by the appearance of a great comet- ‘Tecumseh’s Comet’, which was visible around the globe for 17 months, and was at its brightest during the mega quakes. Tecumseh a Shawnee Indian leader and his brother prophesized “The Black Sun” (the solar eclipse) and a great War; then organized a confederation of Indian Tribes to oppose the takeover of 3 million acres of tribal lands. The U.S attacked first on November 6th, 1811 which marked the beginning of Tecumseh’s War. The leader and his tribe suffered these quakes, lost the Battle of Tippecanoe, but continued to fight as allies of the British during the War of 1812 between U.S and G.B.
- Georgia Guidestones, Elbert County, Georgia -a granite monument erected in 1980. A set of 10 guidelines is inscribed on the structure in eight modern languages, and a shorter message is inscribed at the top of the structure in four ancient language scripts: Babylonian, Classical Greek, Sanskrit, and Egyptian hieroglyphs… “Let these be guidestones to an Age of Reason”: 1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature/ 2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity/ 3. Unite humanity with a living new language/ 4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason/ 5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts/ 6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court/ 7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials/ 8. Balance personal rights with social duties/ 9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite/ 10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature. The four outer stones are oriented to mark the limits of the 18.6 year lunar declination cycle. The center column features a hole drilled at an angle from one side to the other, through which can be seen the North Star, a star whose position changes only very gradually over time. The same pillar has a slot carved through it which is aligned with the Sun’s solstices and equinoxes. A 7/8″ aperture in the capstone allows a ray of sun to pass through at noon each day, shining a beam on the center stone indicating the day of the year. The mysterious and very controversial Georgia Guidestones are positioned exactly at the very edge of the path of totality…
- Charleston SC positioned very close to the center line of totality (at Mt Pleasant) is one the most seismically active areas in the Eastern U.S. The Middleton Place- Summerville Seismic Zone is split into two sections that convene directly beneath the town of Summerville. On August 31st 1886 Charleston received the most devastating quake ever recorded in the Eastern half of North America- estimated to have been 7.3 to 7.6 on the Richter scale. It originated 15 miles North west of the city at a depth of 7.5 miles. Nearly two thirds of the U.S. population at the time felt the shocks. The destruction of life and property was staggering – fire stations, water supplies and hospitals were all totally wiped out. This major quake happened just 2 days after the August 1885 total solar eclipse and even though it did not receive the umbras path of totality, the people of Charleston would have viewed a partial eclipse. Interesting too that only the southern eastern seaboard of N. America was connected longitudinally to the first section of land to receive the path of totality. Relatively recently 2 quakes were recorded in 2002 about 15 miles off the coast of Charleston measuring 4.3 and 3.8 in magnitude.
- Fort Sumter, Charleston SC is where the Civil War began…decades of growing strife between North and South erupted in civil war on April 12, 1861, when Confederate artillery opened fire on this Federal fort in Charleston Harbor. Fort Sumter surrendered 34 hours later. Union forces would try for nearly four years to take it back. This is the last section of US soil to experience the total eclipse before the shadow heads into the Atlantic Ocean.
Summary of the eclipse spotlight:
- Juan de Fuca Plate, Pacific N American coastline: seismic activity watch
- Oregon State: wildfire watch
Casper WY: historical leadership in energy industry – timeline of exploitation of Earth’s natural resources
Teton National Park & Teton Fault WY: oil and gas development and the National Park service 9b rule. Seismic activity watch
Missouri River: flood watch and connection to DAPL and Standing Rock Protest
Kansas city MO: timeline of military activity, Civil War and independence
Independence & Adam-ondi-Ahman MO: LDS church sacred sites and the prophesy of ‘the second coming’.
St. Louis & Gateway Arch, MO: accessible monument dedicated to the American people and the timeline of USA’s westward expansion
Mississippi River: flood watch. Connection to DAPL and Standing Rock protest.
Cahokia Mounds IL: timeline of an advanced ancient civilization
- Carbondale, IL: epicenter of the eclipse, historic regional hub of transportation, agriculture and education, and timeline to Civil War
Shawnee National Forest and the ‘Trail of Tears’ IL – a timeline of expulsion, suffering and death for the Cherokee nation. Government claimed ownership over profitable territories
New Madrid Fault: seismic activity watch. This is the intersection point for total solar eclipses 2017 and 2024. Will “X” mark the spot?
Georgia Guidestones GA: controversial monument declaring 10 guidelines for ‘The Age of Reason.” A timeline of a New World Order
Summerville & Charleston SC: seismic activity watch
Fort Sumter, Charleston SC: timeline to the commencement of America’s Civil War
My intention for this article was not to create a doomsday prophecy – I wish it to simply act as a record to refer back to in the next couple of years, as the effects of this eclipse unfold and peak. It may however prepare us for what could be in store as certain themes come to light through the tracking of the umbras passage physically, astronomically and astrologically. Most notable is the line created by the path of totality which divides the country and nation in 2 halves and how this echoes the division of America during The Civil War with the Northern and Southern Territories governed by the Union and the Confederates.
Earth catastrophes could happen at any time, yet when they coincide with eclipses they are especially devastating. Flooding, wildfires, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions can have the most devastating, far reaching effects, not only carrying a death toll but also affecting the safety of our natural and urbanized environments- our agriculture, economy, and the resources that make our human civilization possible. It is important to explore all possibilities within any correlations made with the above and the below without eliciting so much fear that it generates a panic. The very best that anyone can do to prepare for this Earth changing event is to meditate, pray and generate positive energy for the planet and for the collective as well as all of Earth residents. We can do this individually or in groups. Our ancestors I’m certain worked towards this end, assisting in a spiritual capacity for creating a softening affect for any incoming blows, while allowing the transformational energies to go to work energetically.
So I invite you all to participate in this eclipse to whatever capacity moves you. Our ancestors gathered, made processions, danced, prayed, and performed rituals during powerful celestial alignments such as this. From your location during this solar eclipse visualize the umbra’s passage over the thousands of miles of land mass and the millions of inhabitants. Use your spiritual awareness and psychic tools to raise the energetic vibration for Earth and all her residents. Past timelines connected to wars concerning territory and human rights, an ancient civilization, migration routes especially Oregon trail; the exploitation of Earth’s natural resources, expansion of a new civilization, as well as devastation in seismic zones- all these past timelines could be activated by the energetic spotlight of this eclipse. I say this as an energy worker, not just as an astrologer and as an intuitive who has experience with healing past timelines out on the land. The Nodes of the Moon in astrology are interpreted as karmic signatures and so the perfect eclipse alignment activates karmic past and future through the polarity of its axis. Celestial alignments above translates to energetic activity here on Earth and in any polarity there is magnetic attraction…
There is no advantage then to running and hiding in fear, or in dread of the unknown. What will be will be, and to that end we will adapt and thrive again if per chance any adversity must come to pass in this upcoming eclipse season and onward. Since this solar eclipse is positioned close to the North Node rather than the malefic South, and taking into account other planetary aspects of this eclipse, mundane astrologers would interpret that if anything unfavorable comes to pass for America and its leadership then it should wield beneficial karmic effects in the long run.
My co author Hillary Raimo and myself will be fully participating in this solar eclipse. While Hillary visits the Cahokia mounds in Americas heartland at the epicenter, I will be in Charleston on the Eastern coast with a dear friend visiting Fort Sumter. From these locations Hillary and I will both be doing ceremonial work out on the land and on behalf of our American ancestors. I myself have many close friends who live in the path of totality while other friends are heading to specific sites mentioned here for their work, or to specifically witness this mega eclipse. I don’t see any of this as coincidence. We are all connected and whether you are directly affected by living in a locale that experiences the totality, or by transit to your natal chart, or even if you are not directly affected in either of these ways, there is still good reason to participate and hold space for the millions that will be.
Here at The Intuitive Matrix we hope that our articles concerning the upcoming eclipse season assist in navigating these intense energetic times, as well as inspire you to do your own tracking; to join the dots and most of all get super excited for this Great American Eclipse!
“During the period of totality darkness falls and the electrical character of the Earth’s near cosmic field is drastically altered. Birds fly about excitedly, night creatures come out of their dens, predators howl, roosters crow, diurnal animals go to sleep and flowers close their blossoms”
Robert Carl Jansky
2017 Eclipse related links here on The Intuitive Matrix:
Hillary Raimo: Intuitive insights and forecasting-
Betsy Peerless: Astronomical and astrological interpretations and forecasting-